Protect Your Pet from Poisonous Plants

The Miramichi SPCA has provided this list of the most common house and garden plants poisonous to cats and dogs. These are the most frequently encountered plants and is not a complete list of all poisonous plants. If you believe your pet has ingested a poisonous substance call ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, 1-888-4-ANI-HELP. For more information visit:

Lilies: considered to be highly toxic to cats. Even ingestions of small amounts of the plant can cause severe kidney damage.

Marijuana: Ingestion can result in depression of the central nervous system and coordination problems, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.

Sago Palm: All parts are poisonous, but ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures and liver failure.

Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs: The bulb can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.

Azalea/Rhododendron – can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system. Severe cases could lead to coma and death.

Oleander-All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that can cause serious effects that include gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

Castor Bean: ingestion can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.

Cyclamen: the root is most poisonous. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.

Kalanchoe: This plant can produce gastrointestinal irritation, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.
Yew: contains taxine which causes trembling, coordination problems, difficulty breathing, gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death.

Amaryllis: Common garden plants popular around Easter, Amaryllis species contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia and tremors.

Autumn Crocus: Ingestion by pets can result in oral irritation, bloody vomiting, diarrhea, shock, multi-organ damage and bone marrow suppression.

Chrysanthemum: These popular blooms, if ingested may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. If enough is consumed, depression and loss of coordination may also develop.

English Ivy: Also called branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.

Peace Lily: (Mauna Loa Peace Lily) can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.

Pothos: If chewed or ingested, this popular household plant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

Schefflera – can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing and intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets who ingest.


Leave a Comment