Walk for ALS
In June the ALS Society of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia will celebrate ALS Awareness Month by hosting their annual Walk for ALS fundraisers. The Walk for ALS brings together almost 1000 walkers, donors, clients and volunteers in both provinces to raise money and awareness. The Miramichi Walk for ALS will be held on June 18th, 2016 at French Fort Cove with registration beginning at 10 am.
ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a terminal disease that attacks and kills the motor neurons in the body, denying those affected the ability to move, to speak, and ultimately to breathe. The ALS Society of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia provides direct support to 100-150 people living with ALS each year.
• Two to three Canadians a day die of ALS.
• Approximately 3,000 Canadians currently live with ALS.
• In at least 90% of the cases, ALS strikes individuals with no family history of the disease.
• ALS can strike anyone, regardless of age, sex or ethnic origin.
• Nearly 90% of people with ALS will die within five years of diagnosis.
• ALS affects the whole family.
• ALS is a costly disease; emotionally, physically and financially.
The Walk for ALS is an amazing fundraiser with 60% of proceeds going back into the community to support individuals with ALS and their families living in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The other 40% of the proceeds go to support ongoing ALS research which is happening all across Canada. Currently in the Maritimes, there are two teams working to help fight ALS. Dr Victor Rafuse and his team in Halifax are working at the Brain Repair Centre on muscle activation in an ALS mouse model with light therapy. Dr. Pier Morin and his team at the University of Moncton are working on a definitive test to diagnose ALS earlier and accurately. The goal is to make ALS treatable, not terminal by 2024.
The Miramichi Walk for ALS starts at 10 am and throughout the event there will be live entertainment, a FREE BBQ for all who participate, and jumping castles provided by the Miramichi Fun Zone. This family event focuses on making the day fun and memorable for those affected by ALS, along with their friends, family, caregivers, and community.
We have set Miramichi’s goal this year at $15,000 but together Miramichiers can do it! We would greatly appreciate your support and if you’d like to help raise pledges please go to:
2. “Time to walk for ALS-Miramichi” on Facebook.
4. Or Call 506-625-1554
Let’s grab our sneakers and get ready to have fun! We will meet you at French Fort Cove Saturday, June 18th, 2016 from 10 am-1 pm. Thank you in advance for all of your support!
Giv’er Miramichi is about “What’s up, what’s new, what’s happening”. We are focused on building people up, supporting one another and celebrating our successes.