Community & Fundraising

Countdown to Culture Days: Free Online Publishing Workshop in Miramichi

By Giv'er Miramichi / September 6, 2012 / Comments Off on Countdown to Culture Days: Free Online Publishing Workshop in Miramichi

In celebration of Culture Days, for the first time ever Bread ‘n Molasses magazine will open its doors to the public and invite them inside to get a rare glimpse behind the scenes into the world of online publishing. On Saturday September 29th from 9am to 4pm join Bread ‘n Molasses magazine editor, Kellie Underhill [Read More…]

Read More

The Countdown has begun for Culture Days 2012 in New Brunswick

By Giv'er Miramichi / September 6, 2012 / Comments Off on The Countdown has begun for Culture Days 2012 in New Brunswick

The countdown has begun for Culture Days 2012 in New Brunswick! Already 90 free cultural activities are scheduled to take place all over the province during the last weekend of September (September 28, 29, and 30th). The celebrations were launched yesterday during a news conference at the Charlotte Street Arts Centre in Fredericton in the [Read More…]

Read More

Blackville Childhood Memories

By Giv'er Miramichi / August 29, 2012 / Comments Off on Blackville Childhood Memories

by Pat Fournier Dedicated with love to my big sister, Katherine, who led many of our childhood games, and thus helped create these memories. Remember … As I look back on the life I’ve lived through to this point in time, Fondest memories are of my childhood, and they are treasures in my mind. And [Read More…]

Read More

Lesson Learned

By Giv'er Miramichi / August 27, 2012 / Comments Off on Lesson Learned

by Doug Dolan The summer he conscripted me into his labour force of two my dad was 51 and I was 18. I was no stranger to hard work having been raised in a household where a vague quote from St. Paul was often cited, going something like, “No work, no supper”. I was tempted [Read More…]

Read More

4th Annual Blackville Bluegrass Festival is this Weekend

By Giv'er Miramichi / August 8, 2012 / Comments Off on 4th Annual Blackville Bluegrass Festival is this Weekend

For plenty of great live entertainment and delicious food come to Blackville, NB this weekend! The 4th Annual Blackville Bluegrass Festival kicks off this Friday, August 10th at the Dungarvon Whooper Lounge and runs through Sunday, August 12th. This year’s featured entertainers are: Bluegrass Tradition and the Mark Boutilier Band from Nova Scotia;  Prince Edward Island’s Janet McGarry [Read More…]

Read More

From Our Editor: Huge Opportunity, Let’s Grab It!

By Giv'er Miramichi / August 7, 2012 / Comments Off on From Our Editor: Huge Opportunity, Let’s Grab It!

By Kellie Underhill I wish I had money! A few weeks ago when I first met Stephen McKinnon, president and founder of Canada (East) Films in Miramichi, this thought crossed my mind at least a dozen times during the hour we spoke. When I met him again last week, within the first five minutes I [Read More…]

Read More

15th Anniversary of the Miramichi Festival of Tall Ships

By Giv'er Miramichi / July 31, 2012 / Comments Off on 15th Anniversary of the Miramichi Festival of Tall Ships

UPDATE August 13th: The tall ship Peacemaker has extended its stay until Monday August 20th 2012. Tours will be Tuesday, August 14 – Friday, August 17 from 1 to 6 pm. Saturday, August 18 (Dragon Boat Festival) and Sunday, August 19 from 10 am to 6 pm. Tentative leaving port on Monday Aug 20th, weather permitting. The tall ship [Read More…]

Read More

Call for Summer Submissions

By Giv'er Miramichi / July 23, 2012 / Comments Off on Call for Summer Submissions

Steaks on the BBQ … splashing in the pool … bonfires on the beach … hiking, biking, boating, camping, concerts, festivals, patio parties with family and friends … ice cream cones … Is there anything better than a New Brunswick summer? We think not! Summer is in full swing in New Brunswick and Bread ‘n [Read More…]

Read More

Admiral’s 2012 Video Contest – $1000 CASH PRIZE

By Giv'er Miramichi / July 23, 2012 / Comments Off on Admiral’s 2012 Video Contest – $1000 CASH PRIZE

Admiral Insurance, a proud supporter of the Atlantic Film Festival is pleased to announce Admiral’s 2012 Video Contest. Video Submission Deadline: Friday October 19th, 2012 The contest is open to aspiring filmmakers and videographers from Atlantic Canada and filmmakers of all levels are welcome to submit a short three to five minute video to the [Read More…]

Read More

Canada’s Irish Festival Under Way in Miramichi

By Giv'er Miramichi / July 20, 2012 / Comments Off on Canada’s Irish Festival Under Way in Miramichi

The 29th Annual Irish Festival got under way in Miramichi last night with a live outdoor concert at Waterford Green in Chatham and continues throughout the weekend with many performances, workshops, displays and cultural events. The official Opening Ceremonies happen this evening at the Lord Beaverbrook Arena from 7-8:30 pm. The Festival’s mandate is to [Read More…]

Read More

Attend the sold-out 100th Grey Cup Game through Touchdown Frye

By Giv'er Miramichi / July 19, 2012 / Comments Off on Attend the sold-out 100th Grey Cup Game through Touchdown Frye

UPDATE August 15, 2012 –  Ticket sales for Touchdown Frye officially kick off tomorrow Thursday, August 16. The Frye Festival team will set up a kiosk in the lobby of Moncton City Hall between 11 am and 1:30 pm to launch the fundraising campaign. As of Thursday, tickets will also be sold at all three Reads [Read More…]

Read More

The Tradition of Change

By Giv'er Miramichi / July 11, 2012 / Comments Off on The Tradition of Change

By Cindy Rule A couple years ago I wrote an article for Bread ‘n Molasses about a tradition in our family. Some of you may recall the story of my daughter, her Canada Day dress and a picture. For those of you who are not familiar with the tale, Sorcha was given a dress decked [Read More…]

Read More

New Brunswick will celebrate Culture Days 2012

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 30, 2012 / Comments Off on New Brunswick will celebrate Culture Days 2012

New Brunswick will be a part of Culture Days 2012, a Canada-wide celebration of culture on September 28, 29, and 30. Those who wish to take part in the celebrations can register their activities today on the national Culture Days website at www.culturedays.com. They must be free and open to the public. People are encouraged [Read More…]

Read More