Community & Fundraising

Miramichi’s Steve Heckbert Releases 1st Album in 30 Years at Shadbangers Ball

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 29, 2012 / Comments Off on Miramichi’s Steve Heckbert Releases 1st Album in 30 Years at Shadbangers Ball

Steve Heckbert will release his new CD, Top Down, at the 1st Annual Shadbangers Ball on July 27, 2012 from 7 – 10 pm at the Rodd Miramichi. It has been 30 years since the release of his first album Bottoms Up, in 1982, with the original Shadbangers band. After travelling the world, Miramichi’s Steve [Read More…]

Read More

Summer Theatre Program for Kids in Miramichi

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 19, 2012 / Comments Off on Summer Theatre Program for Kids in Miramichi

by Glenn Copeland Curtains up! Light the lights! The joy of live theatre—a way to tell stories that is dynamic and exciting. This summer Kidplayhouse Productions will be offering a summer theatre arts program for children in the Miramichi region. We’ll sing, dance, act, work with puppets and drumming, and generally have a lot of [Read More…]

Read More

Two Poems for Granddad by Paula Grattan

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 17, 2012 / Comments Off on Two Poems for Granddad by Paula Grattan

Granddad You are a part of me our bloodlines connect For that I love you I yearn for a relationship To know more about you, our family My father your only son You are here yet if it were not for stories told, I would know nothing of you I want to proudly carry Our [Read More…]

Read More

A Poem by Paula Grattan

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 17, 2012 / Comments Off on A Poem by Paula Grattan

Because of you You nurtured me from day one You loved me before that Wiped away tears when I was sad Bandaged cuts when I was hurt Shown me how to be me How to love what I have Encouraged my uprisings Supported my downfalls Because of you I value family Because of you I [Read More…]

Read More

My Dad

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 17, 2012 / Comments Off on My Dad

by Sherry Sturgeon My first crush was on my dad. I thought he was the strongest, funniest, most hard working man around. Sure, he was stern at times when I was growing up. And yes, there were days I would almost be afraid of him and any punishment I might be due; but as quick [Read More…]

Read More

My Father’s Birth into Eternity

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 17, 2012 / Comments Off on My Father’s Birth into Eternity

by Elizabeth Glenn-Copeland My father left this world with a grace he rarely exhibited when living. Oh, I’m not talking about how it was for him after the stroke, as he lay on a hospital bed for days on end, with all manner of tubes sticking out of his body. That was not graceful. Nor [Read More…]

Read More

A Poem by Anna Sturgeon

By Giv'er Miramichi / June 17, 2012 / Comments Off on A Poem by Anna Sturgeon

Dad You are my dad You make me glad I am your child You are so silly Mom gives you wet willys And sometimes we go wild We have lots of fun Under the sun You make me smile You say, “It’s time to leave” I say, “Can we stay please?” You say, “For a [Read More…]

Read More

Call for Father’s Day Submissions

By Giv'er Miramichi / May 16, 2012 / Comments Off on Call for Father’s Day Submissions

Father’s Day is coming right up on June 17th and Bread ‘n Molasses is gearing up to explore our relationships with those special men in our lives —fathers! Have you written a short piece of fiction that celebrates fatherhood or perhaps explores the complex relationship between a father and child? Or maybe you have some [Read More…]

Read More

Mother and Child

By Giv'er Miramichi / May 13, 2012 / Comments Off on Mother and Child

Originally written for my mother on the occasion of her 50th birthday in 2000. A mother and her first born share a unique bond formed early in the child’s life and strengthened through time. From the day of birth ignorance is an overwhelming challenge struggles happen daily and victories are small and mostly silent. It’s [Read More…]

Read More

Grammie’s Back

By Giv'er Miramichi / May 13, 2012 / Comments Off on Grammie’s Back

Grammie’s Back by Kellie Underhill When I was a kid I would often go and stay all night or even a week at my grandparent’s house in Gray Rapids. This was my exotic summer vacation on the farm. The kitchen seemed really big to me then, though it must have only seemed that way because [Read More…]

Read More

Mom’s Last Visit to the Dentist

By Giv'er Miramichi / May 13, 2012 / Comments Off on Mom’s Last Visit to the Dentist

By Pauline Underhill One Saturday night in early July 2004 I went over to stay with Mom and Dad. It was a beautiful summer evening and I remember how bad I felt having to spend it inside instead of home on the deck (just a little of the guilt I feel now). Anyway, for about [Read More…]

Read More

A Poem — She is …

By Giv'er Miramichi / May 13, 2012 / Comments Off on A Poem — She is …

She is … Caring & compassionate. Generous & giving. There in a heartbeat. No questions asked. Strong & powerful. Influential & admired. Best advice given … with or without words. Creative & imaginative. Storyteller & secret keeper. True friend to all who are blessed to know her. Baker & doughnut fryer. Cook & cake maker. [Read More…]

Read More

Lessons My Mother Taught Me

By Giv'er Miramichi / May 13, 2012 / Comments Off on Lessons My Mother Taught Me

by Stacy Underhill “Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this growing up, and it still rings true to me today. Some nights when I’m tempted to leave the sink full of dishes or leave a project incomplete and say, “I’ll finish that [Read More…]

Read More